School FAQs

Are the teachers native speakers? What are their qualifications?
All teachers at Olé have a University degree, are native speakers and have extensive experience as teachers of Spanish as a foreign language.
What levels are offered?

From A1 to C2 (common european framework of reference for languages levels). To know more about our method and levels please visit our teaching method page.

What is the maximum number of students per group?

Maximum of 10 students in each group being the average 5 students.

Are the lessons held in spanish?

Yes, it’s a Spanish total immersion program. It’s proven that using this method the students make more progress and learn faster than in non immersible programs.

How old do I have to be to participate in a language course?
Students must be adults (at least 18 year old).
Is there any placement test?
Before starting any course each student have to take a placement test in order to assign them to the right group.
Is there any possibility to change classes if I don't feel confortable with the level?
Of course it is possible to change the group if you feel it is either too easy or too difficult. You can always discuss any problems with your teacher and the school’s course coordinator.
Will I get a Certificate after the course completion?
We will provide you with a certificate at the end of your course free of charge. You can either choose to do a test and receive a detailed report on your oral, written and grammatical performance or you can opt for a general certificate wihtout doing a test that indicates your level, the overall hours you attended the course as well as the study period.
How long does it take to complete one Spanish level?

Olé’s course program follows the Common European Framework of Reference for Language. Independently of whether you do the Intensive (20 lessons/week) or Semi-Intensive (10 lessons/week) course you will need the following amount of time for each given level:

A1 = 5 weeks
A2 = 5 weeks
B1 = 6 weeks
B2 = 7 weeks
C1 = 12 weeks
C2 = 12 weeks

For evening courses, students will need at least 12 weeks in order to complete a level.

Can I take a break during my studies?
It is generally possible to take a break without paying a surcharge as long as we have a group with your level available upon your return. You only have to tell us with 2 weeks notice in advance.
Can I extend my course at any time?

Yes, feel free to extend your course at any time (subject to availability) 

Courses FAQs

I want to start as soon as possible. When is the next start date?
If you already have a basic understanding of Spanish you can start at any given Monday throughout the year. Please make sure to enrol as early as possible since the groups fill up quickly especially during the summer. If you have not studied Spanish before and you would like to participate in a course for absolute beginners, we offer you the possibility to start every other Monday. Check our course calendar.
I would like to start with two weeks. Can I extend the course later?
You are free to extend the course at any time. You can start with a two or three weeks course and add on one or more weeks at a later date. The price is the same whether you book the weeks at once or start with one week and extend your course at a later date. The only risk you take is that the group with your level is fully booked. During the high season (June to September) extending the course at short notice is often not possible.
Can I take a break for a week or two during the course and then continue?
If you need to travel and would like to continue the course afterwards, please indicate so in your enrolment form. It is generally possible to take a break without paying a surcharge if you warn us two weeks in advance and as long as we have a group with your level available upon your return.
Is it possible to start with an intensive course and then change to a semi-intensive course or vice versa?
If you initially enrol for an intensive course but choose not to complete the entire period you can change to a semi-intensive course for a surcharge of 30 Euros. However, if you finished the initial period you booked and then prolongue the course, you may choose any other course option we offer without surcharge.
How many weeks can I study?
You can study as long as you want but for any particular booking the period has to be from 1 to 50 weeks. For periods longer than 50 weeks several bookings are required.
Can I choose the timetable (morning/afternoon) in the intensive and semi-intensive course?
You can mention your preference but it will depend on availability, levels, etc.
Is there any enrolment fee?
The enrolment fee is 55 € including the first study book and the study materials and it’s valid for a 12-months period. This means that you can return to the school as many times as you want during the year and you only pay the enrolment fee once!
When do the courses start?
Our semi-intensive and intensive courses start every Monday all year except for absolute beginner students who can start every second Monday
What time do the classes start?
Intensive and semi-intensive courses are held from 09:00 to 10:45 or 13:00 (morning lessons) or from 14:00 to 15:45 or 18:00 (afternoon lessons). Evening lessons are held from 19:00 to 21:00 on Mondays and Wednesdays or Tuesdays and Thursdays.
How do you know my level? which group is good for me?
There is a detailed level test online that will take you between 10-30 minutes to complete depending on your level. This is not a multiple choice test, hence you will not receive your level straight away. It is very important that you take the level test BEFORE your course starts since we cannot guarantee you a placement in the right level otherwise.
Do the courses run all year round?
All courses run all year round except the evening course that takes place from January to June and from October to December. The Evening course is not available at summer ( July, August, September ).
What is the minimum course period?
The minimum course period for the Intensive and Semi-intensive course is 1 week and 4 weeks for the evening course.
How long is one lesson?
One lesson in our evening course is 60 minutes and for the intensive and semi-intensive course is 52,5 minutes.
How many lessons per week will I study?
20 lessons/ week for the intensive course, 10 lessons/week for the semi-intensive course and 4 lessons/week for the evening course.
Do I need to know English to learn Spanish?
At Olé follow a stricly immersive programme which means that from the first day of the course there is no other language than Spanish spoken in the classroom. Step by step you will learn the vocabulary and the grammar needed to express yourself in Spanish. There are Spanish – Spanish as well as Spanish – English/ French/German/Portuguese etc. dictionaries available for you in our library.
I'm a little bit worried about picking up Catalan, rather than Spanish, while in Barcelona
Catalunya is officially bilingual and both Spanish and Catalan are spoken here but everyone understands Spanish even though you might hear some people speaking in Catalan in the streets. Barcelona is an incredibly multicultural city, a babelonia where many different cultures and people meet.
How can I recieve an international recognized certificate that states my level of Spanish?

What the IELTS or TOEFL are for English is the D.E.L.E for Spanish. D.E.L.E stands for “Diploma Español como Lengua Extranjera” (Diplomas of Spanish as a Foreign Language) and it is an official accreditation (accepted worldwide) of the level of fluency and command of the Spanish Language. The D.E.L.E exams are issued by the Instituto Cervantes on behalf of the Spanish Government. More information about the D.E.L.E. is available on the Instituto Cervantes website. Olé offers D.E.L.E. preparation courses three times a year. Please consult our website.on course options for more details.

Whats the difference between long-term courses and intensive courses?

Long-term courses are intensive courses for periods longer or equal than 27 weeks. Students from outside of the Schengen territory who study a long-term course can get a student visa type D “Open” that can be extended from Spain. Apart from the duration of the course, the characteristics of both courses are the same. We offer more competitive prices for the long-term courses than for the intensive courses

How many weeks do I have to study in order to get a visa?

For less than 90 days of study you can get a visa type C, for more than 90 days but less that 26 weeks you can get a visa type D “Closed” that can not be extended, for courses longer that 26 weeks ( half a year ) you can get a visa type D “Open” that can be extended from Spain.
For more information about the student visa process please check our student visa page.

Can I extend my visa?

You can apply for an extension of your student visa as long as your initial student visa type is type D “Open”. Initialy you get this type of visa for courses longer than 26 weeks ( half a year ). If your visa has a shorter duration, you have to return to your country and start the process again.

What documents will I need for an extension?

It’s important that you begin the process approximately 60 days before your NIE/TIE is about to expire. The documents you need to provide at the “Oficina de Extranjería” are the following:

1. The request form (official model EX-11), in its original and a copy.
2. Passport and a photocopy.
3. 3 recent photos.
4. Photocopy of your NIE/TIE.
5. Accredited documentation saying that you have completed the requirements to continue your studies.
6. Accredited document that you have enrolled in a Spanish course.
7. Accredited document demonstrating that you have the economic means to cover your necessities.
8. Empadronamiento (household registration).

When do DELE preparation courses start?

The D.E.L.E preparation courses start usually five weeks before each exam date. Please email us at info_ole@olelanguages.com for more information. You can also check our DELE information page

How many lessons per week will I study in a DELE preparation course?

There are two options: 20 or 10 lessons/weeek. Please check our DELE information page for getting more details.

How long does a DELE preparation course take?

There are two options: 4 weeks or 2 weeks long. Please check our DELE information page for getting more details.

Is there any enrolment fee for the DELE courses?

No, students who enroll in DELE courses do not have to pay any enrolment fee.

When do conversation classes start?

Our conversation courses start every Monday all year round.

How many lessons per week will I study in the conversation course?

5 lessons per week. One every day from Monday to Friday from 13:30 to 14:30

Is there a minimun level for the conversation course?

Yes, these courses are only available from A2 level on.

Is there any enrolment fee for the conversation course?

No, students who enroll in conversation classes do not have to pay any enrolment fee.


How far is the apartment from the school?
Many of the apartments are located within walking distance or two to three bus or metro stops from the school. In general, it will not take you longer than 15/20 minutes to reach the school by public transport. Whether we can offer you a flat close to the school depends very much how far in advance you book.
We would like to stay in a student flat -is it possible for my friend and I to stay together in a double bed room? How would we arrange this?
It is possible to book a double room for you and your friend as long as you both do a Spanish course at Olé (and book in advance). Just indicate your friend’s name in the commentary field of the enrolment form.
Do the apartments have internet?
All the student flats have Internet. You are also welcome to use computers with Internet access as well as WIFI free of charge at the school from 9am to 7.30pm from Monday to Friday.
Are the apartments shared with students from Spain or international students?
All the student flats have Internet. You are also welcome to use computers with Internet access as well as WIFI free of charge at the school from 9am to 7.30pm from Monday to Friday.
Can I change my accommodation if I'm not satisfied?
Yes, as long as we have availability in another apartment or host-family.
When do I get my accommodation details?
We will send you the accomodation details once you have booked the course bindingly (which you do by paying an advance of 150 Euros towards the overall course price by banktransfer or credit card).
When does students' accommodation in shared apartments start?
Shared aparment accommodation is arranged from Saturday before the course begins until Saturday morning after the course ends.
Do I need to bring towels and sheets in case of shared apartmens?
Sheets are provided. Towels are not.
Can I book accommodation without booking a course?
It is generally not possible to book accomodation without doing a Spanish course.
Am I allowed to smoke in my room?
No, smoking is not permitted in rooms or common areas. You are allowed to do it in the balconies/terraces.
Do host families have experience with students?
Host families are carefully selected by Olé Barcelona and they have a lot of experience hosting foreign students.
Would any host family I stayed with definitely speak Spanish as their first language?
We can guarantee you that the hostfamily will speak Spanish with you.
I have booked accommodation with a host family and half-board. Is it possible to change that second meal from dinner to lunch?

It is not possible to change dinner for lunch since many families work during the day.

Booking & Payment

How can I book a course?
You can book your course online clicking the book now button (on the top of the page and on the right) and following the steps of the booking system. You can also do it at school if you already are in Barcelona. After we receive your booking we will send you an email confirming your enrolment and the overall costs. In order to book the course bindingly you must make a payment in advance towards the course to the amount of 150 Euros by credit card or bank transfer. If you do not make that payment, we will not warrant your place.
How long in advanced do I have to book?
We usually assign the classes in order of students’ arrivals so we recommended that you book your course 3-4 weeks in advance. Of course you can try to book even 1 day in advance although there is the risk that the groups are full.
When do I have to pay?
At the end of the enrolment process we require you to make a payment of 150€ in order to guarantee your booking,. The remaining amount must be paid to the school directly, according to the schools’ policies, usually on the first day of the course. Please note that if you need documents for getting the student Visa, we require you to pay the full amount in advance.
How can I pay?
You can pay in the school or online. If you pay in the school the options are cash and credit/debit card. If you prefer to pay online you can do it by credit/debit card or by bank transfer. Please check our how to pay page for more details.
When do I get my study schedule?
You will receive your timetable at least one week before your course starts if you have not specifically requested a morning or afternoon course
What happens if I realise after having booked the course and paid the prepayment of 150€ that I cannot come?
In cases in which we receive the cancellation notice four or more weeks prior to the course start, the client receives a 50% refund of the tuition deposit paid. For cancellations received with less than 4 weeks notice, the prepayment is non-refundable. All students who wish to cancel their programme (course and/or accomodations) prior to their arrival should notify Olé Languages in writing by email info_ole@olelanguages.com or letter (Olé Languages, Carrer Mallorca 201, 08036 Barcelona). Cancellations not received by one of the three previously mentioned means will not be accepted. Once the elected Spanish course has begun, the student will not be entitled to any type of refund.
I am coming for more than 3 months to study in Barcelona so I will need a visa. Will I receive a confirmation latter stating that I am enrolled in a Spanish course at Olé to apply for the visa?
Olé requires those who need a letter of confirmation for their visa application to pay a total amount of the course price(course plus accommodation price). On receipt of the payment we will issue a document confirming your admission at Olé Languages. This document states that your application at Olé has been successful as well as the number of hours you will study per week and the start and end date of your course. Depending on what the consulate requires, we can either send this document as PDF via e-mail, or by postal mail.
What happens if my visa application has been declined and I cannot start my course?

The course costs reimbursement is possible only in case of refusal to issue a Spanish visa by our consular offices. If your visa application has been declined, please send us the rejection letter (via e-mail or fax). The following rules apply:

-If the school receives the rejection letter at least 15 days before the start date the school will refund the total amount paid minus an administrative fee of 75 euros.

– If the school receives the rejection letter less than 15 days in advanced the school will refund the total amount paid minus an administrative fee of 75 euros and minus 2 weeks of course and 2 weeks of accommodation if reserved.

– No refunds will be given to students who do not provide the official rejection letter from the embassy or consulate.

– Where a refund is given, any bank charges related to transfers, exchange rate movements and postal/express mail/courier costs will be deducted from the refundable amount due.

Contact Us

Unlock the world of Spanish with just one click. Contact AIL Barcelona today to embark on your linguistic journey, opening doors to new opportunities and cultural experiences. Don't miss out, get in touch now and let's start speaking Spanish together!

Contact Us AIL Barcelona